
Note, I'm pushing some of the chess pieces around a bit just to see how it works. E.g., I've listed that either Koji or I will teach Advanced Quant in Fall 2008, since I hope to go on sabbatical then. I've also listed Koji and Karin as options for SYA5406, contingent on possibilities like Koji taking over SYA5407, etc. Also, I didn't know if we are going to continue the tradition of co-teaching SYA5345 Intro to Research Methods, so I put that as a possibility.
At any rate, how does that look so far? Also, should we be teaching undergrad stats/methods at all, beyond Ike's online course? Seems like if we could fill (possibly new?) graduate level courses instead, that we should leave undergrad stats/methods to adjuncts and graduate students. Just an idea to ponder.
4 comments:
Sorry I've been so negligent! Here are my thoughts on teaching for the next couple of years:
Fall 2007 - could teach intro to methods again, but would prefer not to. Instead, I'd prefer to do it every other year.
Spring 2008 - I'm committed to teaching Family Demography
Fall 2008 - Intro to Methods
Spring 2009 - other
-Kathi
Also -- my thoughts on co-teaching for methods. I have really enjoyed the co-teaching so far. Especially for faculty who have never taught methods at the graduate level, having a co-teacher with more experience is very helpful. For example, Pat knows just where they are going to get confused and the topics that will take them more time to understand. I think it has also been helpful to be paired up with her beacuse she has such great qualitative skills (something I am seriously lacking!). I think the students like getting to know more of the faculty too.
So, I would be in favor of continuing co-teaching for this course, particularly if we could work it out such that the two people complement each other in terms of strengths and weaknesses.
-Kathi
One more course to add to the schedule -- Woody is teaching SYD5135 Techniques of Demographic Analysis...
in Fall 2007.
As long as the reason Dr. Reynolds is planning a sabbatical is to take his family to New Zealand to study the gender differences in educational attainment between the European New Zealanders and the Indigenous Maori peoples, I have no problems with his postulated schedules.
Post a Comment